You don't need to spend a fortune to have your property looking its best for sale. Follow these useful hints:
- Method of sale – private treaty, auction, expression of interest and public tender are the four main options and each has its advantages for certain properties and in certain markets. Your agent will recommend a sales method they feel is most conducive to achieving the highest possible price for your property.
- Presentation is key – you don't have to spend a great deal of time or money to make sure your home looks its best. A fresh coat of paint, well-tended gardens, minor repairs, professional cleaning and de-cluttering will make a big difference to buyers' first impressions.
- De-clutter – it's a must and allows buyers to see your property, not your belongings.
- Ensure your home smells fresh - Simple but important! A stale-smelling home is an instant turnoff.
- Minor repairs – small problems like leaking taps, broken gates or cracked window panes are easily fixed but leave a bad impression if not attended to.
- Major renovations – discuss with your agent the financial viability of undertaking any significant renovations. They'll be able to advise whether it's worth your while.
- Gardens – invest a little time in your garden and it will make a significant difference to the overall aesthetic of your home.
- Timing of sale – depending on the location and type of your property, it may be more beneficial to sell at a certain time of year. Ask your agent for advice.
- Professional styling – having your property styled or professionally furnished can enhance the entire feel, especially if it's vacant, and can be a very worthwhile investment.